My Comcast Router Blocked The Division (Mike 20240078)
Let me start by saying this isn't the first time I've had an issue with my Comcast router causing issues. As a matter of fact I had to go out mid last year to get a new wireless router because it was causing issues with tablets and smartphones in the house. There's been some news sources that posted about Android not working well with Comcast routers, but I even had some issues with my iPad at the time.
The issue I ran into was the devices were getting very little bandwith, they ran SLOW online. I'm talking ~500Kb/s slow. I ran multiple speed tests and it was crazy... and these things get app updates all the time... you were better off connecting to the mobile data network.
So, I went out and got a wireless router from my local Radio Shack at the time, yeah we still had one lol. After that all the devices were getting MUCH faster speeds, more than 10MB/s. But now I guess I have another issue.
I Got Into The Beta
I was lucky enough to get into the beta for The Division on both the Xbox and PC... I really like what I saw at E3. I liked Destiny for a little, but it didn't give me what I wanted, so I hope The Division can.
I looked online when this first happened and didn't see many people talking about getting that error. So I had to do some troubleshooting. I was getting this error on both my Xbox One and PC; however, when I was at my girlfriend's house it worked fine on the Xbox One... so it probably had something to do with my setup. I started going through their troubleshooting and talking to their support on Twitter.
@Ubisoft both "test network connection" and "test multiplayer connection" shows all good.— Martino Jones (@martinoj2009) January 28, 2016
But that didn't help... so I was on my own. Luckily I know how technology works ;-).
Is My Setup Different?
Looking at my Comcast provided router I could see that I have some customizations, like allowing my server through the router by putting it into the DMZ. I tried removing that, rebooting my Xbox One and closing down the game on the PC and trying again... didn't work.
Okay, so what else did I do after getting it? I didn't want to just reset it because I wanted to know what setting was cauing it to have issues. So I looked around more and found that I did change the security permissions before. I set them to custom so that I could have higher than low but not blocking ICMP (ping) traffic, I don't know why you would want to block ping inside your network, I can understand blocking requests coming in (and not blocking replies) but I'm sure there's someone.
I changed the setting back to the default setup that came with the box, "Low", and again restarting the Xbox One and PC... BOOM, it worked. SOOOOO, I looked at the settings I had in my settings vs. "Low" settings and found that I was blocking peer-to-peer traffic on my router. I did that because I didn't want torrent traffic going over the network unless they asked me first, and I could see what they were downloading.
Maybe I'm the only person that does this and has the beta, but that was intresting to see and I wanted to share with others just in case they ran into the same issue.
Let me know what you think of this article on twitter @martinoj2009!